Milton G. White (1910-1979)
Director, Princeton-Pennsylvania Accelerator Laboratory (1951-1971)
Milton White (1910-1979) was a Professor of Physics at Princeton University. His research led the field for research and development of particle accelerators. His doctoral thesis was the first nuclear physics research using a cyclotron. During WWII, White left Princeton to organize the radiation laboratory in Cambridge, MA where he also served as the head of development of microwave technology and radar. After the war, White returned to Princeton where he constructed the university’s first cyclotron. It was used for nuclear structure research. In the 1950s White constructed the Princeton-Pennsylvania Accelerator Laboratory and served as its director until it was decommissioned in 1971. In its final years, the synchrotron was used to research using heavy ions for cancer therapy. After his retirement from Princeton, White served as president of the Universities Research Association which operates the Fermi National Accelerator in Batavia, IL.
Milton White "Princeton-Pennsylvania Accelerator Laboratory" Directory of Federal Research & Development Installations for the Year Ending June 30, 1969, National Science Foundation (U.S.) (1970). https://books.google.com/books?id=vusyAAAAMAAJ&lpg=PA121&d
For more information about White, visit: https://www.nytimes.com/1979/10/19/archives/milton-g-white-69-physics-professor-designed-and-guided.html